Monday, October 7, 2013

Initial Penny Art


I have found myself drawn to monogram and initial projects. I'm currently working on spicing up my living room walls and I came up with a perfect spicy thing -a giant letter R
(for my last name) with pennies. We happened to have a giant Coke piggy bank of full of pennies so I didn't need to harass anyone at the bank or go scuba diving in my couch cushions.




Here is what you'll need
About $3-$5 worth of pennies
Paper Mache letter
Sponge brush
Acrylic paint -Copper and Brown
Mod Podge
Hot glue
Paint brush
Command Strips

1. Wash the pennies! Pennies are pretty gross and if you're gonna have all of them displayed like that, you're gonna want them to be as clean as you can manage. Plus, it will add a little bit of shine. I used some Dawn dish soap and washed them in a bowl a few times.



2. Paint the Paper Mache letter with copper acrylic paint. I didn't have copper on hand so I mixed Terra Cotta with gold. Paint the edges in brown once the first coat dries.

3. Hot glue the pennies down. You will need to make two layers in order to cover the gaps.

4. After the pennies have been glued down, use your sponge brush to apply a layer of Mod Podge over them. I let my 2 year old help out so the bottom half is a little thick. Let it dry for a few hours.

5. Apply the Command Strips to the back of it, hang it up, and enjoy!

*Take in mind that this thing is gonna be a little bit heavy when you're done.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin



1 comment: